Important Highlights about the Pace Groups:
- Participation is free to all participants who sign up at the booth during the Frederick Health & Fitness Expo at the fairgounds (Registration is not available at the off-site pick up locations). Registration includes completing a release of liability waiver and in return you will be given a pace band (while supplies last) to wear on your forearm which will alert you of your specific mile goals. THERE WILL BE NO HALF MARATHON DAY SIGN UP FOR PACE GROUPS.
- We will have Pace Groups for the following half marathon times: 1:40, 1:45, 1:50, 1:55, 2:00, 2:10, 2:20, 2:30, 2:40.
- The goal is that the Pacers will be running “even splits,” which means that every mile will be run at approximately the same pace. Exceptions to this will be in the beginning due to the bottleneck at the start. Most of the Pace Groups will not be walking during the half marathon. (Traditionally, the slower pace groups may be walking during fluid stations.)
- To meet up with the Pace Groups on marathon day, look for them at the start, holding up large signs with the pace group finishing times printed on them, and wearing Pace Group shirts. Try to meet up with your group twenty minutes before the start (6:40 a.m.).
- Five or ten minutes before the start, your Pacers will give their “final instructions”. This will include any adjustments being made to the pace due to course conditions, as well as your Pacers’ method of meeting back up and keeping the group together at the fluid stations. This is another great opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have!
- Fluid station philosophy, regarding whether the Pace Group will walk or run through it, is up to the Pacers. Each Pace Group will let their team know their strategy for getting back together after a water stop.
- We want you to run your own race. If you feel great on race day, and you want to go ahead to catch the next team, we’ll cheer you on. If it’s just not your day, slow down and wait for the next Pace Group behind to catch you. And if you want to just fall in and match strides with your Pace Group Pacer, we sure will appreciate the company!
- If you have any questions, please feel free e-mail Anne Lewis, the Pace Group Organizer at [email protected]
Meet the 2016 Pacers
David Ploskonka: With over 50 marathon and ultramarathon finishes over his 20 years of running, David has taken on a wide variety of running-related challenges over the years. David looks forward to pacing you to your best race at the 2016 Frederick Half Marathon!
David Stevenson: He has run over 50 marathons run including Boston multiple times. Has run distances from 5k to 50 miles. He hopes to eventually complete a marathon in every state and look to continue to share his love of running as a pacer to help others achieve their own personal goals.
Betsy Schultz: Betsy stays active running marathons, half marathons, adventure races, triathlons, and bike touring around the US. Former college basketball player, now an elementary school teacher, who enjoys sharing the enjoyment of running and exercise by coaching elementary school boys and girls.
Amy Voiland: Amy has been running for about 30 years. She enjoys anything outdoors especially running. She is proud of her personal running accomplishments and is now enjoying helping others reach theirs.
Kara Carlin: Kara is the mother of 2, wife of her high school sweetheart, and a high school Athletic Director. Kara has run 20 marathons, including Boston 3x, and many half marathons. Her marathon PR is 3:29 and her half marathon PR is 1:36. She love to coach and to run, so being a pacer is the perfect fit!
Malcolm Senior: Member of the Baltimore Pacers – committed to help runners achieve their goal providing a little bit of history along the way. Regular Pacer for Frederick half marathon, Baltimore 10 miler and Baltimore marathon.
Sara Damiano: Sara has run many half marathons and more than a dozen marathons (PR: 3:20). An experienced pacer of events from the 10-miler to the marathon, she has paced the Frederick Half three times. The joy of helping other runners achieve their goals keeps her coming back every year!
Pamela Geernaert: Pamela has been a Baltimore Pacer for 4 years. She loves to run and talk. She is the past president of the Frederick Steeplechasher’s Running Club. She is an accomplished runner having run about 50 marathons and ultras . Her favorite races are with friends new and old.
Muffie Bliss: She has been running races since 2007, starting with the Frederick Half. She has run Marine Corp, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Disney, San Diego, Baltimore, and Shamrock. Pacers throughout all of these races have helped her reach her goals and she looks forward to helping you reach yours.
Joshua Reiter: Joshua is a long time pacer and enjoys helping others achieve their running goals. Best known for his pacer rap video which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozGBQzQrys0 Once beaten in a race by a fairy princess. President of Applications Online and Senior Lecturer at Johns Hopkins
Stephen Mang: Steve has run 5 marathons, one as a pacer, and more than 20 ultramarathons. He’s a trail runner at heart but has fun on the roads sometimes. He enjoyed pacing the Frederick Half in 2015 and is excited to help others in 2016.
Faye Weaver: Member of Howard County Striders since 2009. She has coached and co-coordinated training programs from 5k to marathons. She is a RRCA certified coach. She has completed many races from 5k to 50 milers. Member of the Baltimore Pacers since 2013 bringing runners to the finish ON TIME.
Shannon Hansen: Shannon has run over 10 marathons, 2 ultra marathons, a Half-Ironman and has paced countless races with the team. She is looking forward to helping you not only finish the race, but finishing within your goal time!
Lauren Klinker: Ran her first race at age 5 and has been running ever since. Has run for Tufts University & 4 marathons, including Boston twice & many half marathons (PR 1:31). She is currently studying medicine at Johns Hopkins. When she is not studying, she enjoys running with Hopkins Marathon Team & November Project!
Dave Hopkins: Completed ~73 marathons, 11 Ironmans, and has been pacing for 9 years. Just finished the 24 hour London to Paris Sportive last week, and training for Ironman France and Ironman Wales. Most importantly, looking forward to pacing YOU! Come join us, listen for the horn, and let’s have fun together!
Mary Qui: She is a former competitive cross country skier from Toronto, Canada and has transitioned to running half-marathons since moving to Baltimore (since snow out here is on the scarcer side), where she runs with the Hopkins Marathon Team.
Anne Lewis: Completed 29 marathons. Paced Frederick Half and Baltimore Marathon last year. Former TNT run coach. Enjoys running with people and encouraging them along the way!
Italics indicates new pacer